A Handy Spider Prevention Guide For Pasadena Homeowners
Many people have a fear of spiders. These creepy creatures have haunted the nightmares of millions of people all over the world. However, even if you don't fear spiders, you still don't want them to invade your home. At Accutech Pest Management, we have been providing pest control in Pasadena for years, and we know how to identify and eliminate all of the spiders from your home.
Characteristics Of Common Spiders
Maryland is home to a wide variety of spiders. Some of the different types of spiders that you are most likely to see around your home include:
- Orb weavers: This species gets its name from the large, circular webs that it makes. There are several different types of orb weaver spiders. The one most commonly found in Pasadena is the black and yellow garden spider. This spider may look big and scary, but it is not aggressive. The female has a large black and yellow body that measures about 3/4 of an inch long. It also has eight long legs that are nearly double the length of its body.
- Crab spiders: This spider species gets its name from the way it walks sideways and backward like a crab. Usually, the crab spider has a gray or light brown body that measures about 1/2 an inch long.
- Jumping spiders: Jumping spiders are a smaller species that usually measure between 1/8 and 3/4 of an inch long. Their bodies are generally a combination of gray and black, but they can also be tan and brown. They have an impressive ability to jump far distances.
- Cellar spiders: Cellar spiders may look intimidating but are actually known as gentle giants in the spider world. They have long, thin bodies and even longer and narrower legs. They are commonly in dark and damp places, like a cellar or basement.
- Black widow spiders: The black widow spider is the only dangerously venomous spider that is native to Maryland. The female black widow is far more dangerous than the males. The female has a shiny black body with a red or orange marking on the abdomen in the shape of an hourglass.
The only other harmful spider in this area is the brown recluse spider. However, it is not a native to Maryland. This spider has a light brown body with a dark violin-shaped mark on its back.
What It Means If You're Seeing Spiders In Your Home
A spider will come into your home in search of food or water. They mainly eat insects, such as ants, beetles, and cockroaches. So, if you see a large population of spiders inside your home, it could mean that there are even more insects lurking around your house.
Spiders also do not like the colder temperatures and will often look for a warm place to escape the frigid temperatures. If it can find a small opening in your home, it will come inside to wait for warmer weather.
Six Eco-Friendly Spider Prevention Tips For Around The House
If you are looking for a natural way to prevent spiders from coming into your home, follow these six easy steps:
- Have your home professionally inspected to ensure there are no insects or other pest infestations.
- Sweep and mop your floor and regularly wipe down your countertops to ensure no food crumbs are left behind that could attract other insects.
- Check for any leaky pipes or faucets around the house.
- Remove any cobwebs that you see around your home.
- Get rid of any old boxes or other clutter around your home that could act as a hiding space for spiders.
- Keep firewood stacked away from your home. And check the wood for spiders before you bring it inside.
In order to keep the spiders at bay, you have to make sure that you keep the food, shelter, and water inaccessible to them.
The Best Way To Keep Spiders Out Of Your Home
If you are having a difficult time getting rid of the spiders in your Pasadena home, give us a call today. At Accutech Pest Management, we know where local spiders like to hide. We can help you identify dangerous species and eliminate all of the spiders from your home.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Love Accutech. I’ve been on their quarterly plan for over 10 years. Never have any issues. Great company!
"I live in a row house and both my neighbors have rat problems. Thankfully they are not in the house. Accutech responded very quickly to my request to come out and check my house for entrance points and put out baits to give me piece of mind. They are great to work with and always go that extra mile."
"Great service and very effective! Treated horrible bed bugs 2 years ago and have most recently gotten rid of the mice that attempted to invade my home! Would totally recommend to anyone with a pest problem. They will definitely take care of it! Very friendly and informative techs too!"