Do you own a home in Pasadena? There's a good chance you’re worried about a possible termite infestation. These wood-eating pests are extremely common in homes, neighborhoods, and businesses and extremely dangerous to both our families and our bottom lines.
There are three different species found in Pasadena: subterranean termites, drywood termites, and dampwood termites. Not only can all three cause significant damage, but all three remain active throughout the year. Before you start panicking about termite activity, you should know there are ways to control its spread near your home. By identifying warning signs and using the right preventative techniques, you can easily create a barrier around your home that keeps pests out for good.
But how do you keep termites out of your Pasadena home? And what do you do if they start getting too close for comfort?
This article dives into everything you should know about treating termites around your home. We'll cover the signs of termite activity and explore how quickly damage can escalate when left unattended. By protecting your property, applying specific products, and partnering with the right pest control company, you can keep your property safe from termites in Pasadena virtually all year round.
Here's what you need to know about termite activity, beginning with how to identify their presence in or around your home.
Termite Activity: How To Identify The Signs
We know termite infestations in Pasadena quickly go from bad to worse. That's because these insidious invaders are almost impossible to catch in their earliest stages. Not only are they completely silent and excellent at staying hidden, but they also know how to infest less trafficked areas and avoid detection by you or your family.
That doesn't mean they're impossible to find, though. Far from it! There are ways you can identify unwanted termite activity before their numbers swell to an impossible size.
For example, you can keep an eye out for the following:
- Discarded Wings: Sexually mature alates, known as termite swarmers, shed their wings after finding a mate and begin colonizing an area. If you find small, transparent wings near windowsills or doors, you may have a termite infestation developing nearby.
- Mud Tubes: Subterranean termites build protective mud tunnels so they can safely travel from their food source (household wood) to their underground colony. You might find these pencil-sized tubes along your property's foundation or running up or down the basement walls.
- Hollow-Sounding Wood: Termites consume wood from the inside out, leaving a hollow shell behind. If your wooden structures sound hollow when tapped, you may be facing an established termite infestation.
- Visible Damage: Although termites are elusive creatures and difficult to stop, they can still leave visible damage in your wood or drywall. You may start to notice bowing walls or sagging ceilings. Over time, doors and windows may begin to stick thanks to the warping of the wooden frames.
- Frass or Termite Droppings: Drywood termites leave behind sawdust-like droppings that collect near walls and baseboards. Sometimes referred to simply as frass, these droppings resemble tiny, ridged, wood-colored pellets. Spotting these near your wooden structures could be a warning sign of an infestation.
If you think or know that any of these termite warning signs are present near your Pasadena home, you need to schedule an immediate inspection to get to the bottom of the issue. Thankfully, you can rely on the team at Accutech Pest Management to perform a termite inspection on your behalf. Give us a call to set up an appointment at a time that's convenient for you.
From Bad To Worse: How Termite Damage Can Escalate Quickly
So you know there's a termite infestation brewing near your home. Do you really need to be concerned about your safety, or can you wait for the problem to go away on its own?
As much as we'd love to believe that termites would move on our behalf, the truth is that these unwanted invaders are extremely difficult to move without 'encouragement.' Some termite infestations can survive for years without disturbance, leaving a trail of destruction throughout your property and risking the value of your home.
It also doesn't take long for termite damage to spiral out of control. Termites can breed relatively quickly, which means infestations can double or even triple in size over the course of a few years.
Larger termite colonies lead to larger amounts of wood destruction. A single colony can grow up to 60,000 members, eating through as much as five grams of wood per day and up to four pounds of wood per year.
This level of destruction can wreak havoc on the structure of your home. Sagging ceilings, warped walls, and stuck window frames are just a few of the most common concerns, although serious issues with electrical wiring, plumbing systems, and foundation damage may also occur.
The longer you wait to address termite issues, the more expensive they can be to fix. That's why the best way to protect your property from termite activity is to nip it in the bud with termite prevention tips.
Let's take a closer look at the steps you can take to defend your Pasadena home.
Protecting Your Property: Effective Termite Prevention Methods
Knowing the signs of a termite infestation is only half the battle. You also need to know how to prevent infestations from taking place, especially if you've experienced some amount of termite activity in the past.
Fortunately, this doesn't have to be a difficult process. Accutech Pest Management recommends a combination of preventative and curative measures to create an Integrated Pest Management approach to termite control in your yard.
You can reduce your risks of a termite infestation by:
- Keeping your gutters clean. This prevents water from pooling near your home’s foundation, which can attract termites in droves. It's also a good idea to remove any mulching that may bring additional activity to the area.
- Removing excess moisture from inside your crawl spaces or basements. You may want to rely on dehumidifiers and fans at first, then add some supplementary support in the form of silica or desiccant bags.
- Stacking wood piles away from the home. Be sure to take branches, wooden debris, and firewood at least 25 feet away from the sides of your home. Then, burn excess material in a big brush pile to prevent mounds of rotting wood from attracting termite activity.
- Sealing cracks and gaps around the house. Rely on waterproof caulking, expanding foam, and other forms of sealant to defend your property from termites.
- Taking a proactive approach to termites with regular pest inspections. If you're worried about a possible infestation or if you've spotted some signs of activity near your property, it's best to bring in professionals who can identify damage before it takes place.
By taking these tips into account, you can defend your property from unwelcome termite activity. However, keep in mind these tips are only for prevention and not for termite removal. You need to seek immediate termite control if you suspect an infestation around your property.
Looking for termite control in Pasadena? You can rely on Accutech Pest Management to assess your property quickly. We would be happy to support you and your family with a comprehensive inspection of your Pasadena home.
Professional Termite Extermination: Know When To Call In The Experts
Termites are certainly no ordinary pests. Luckily, Accutech Pest Management is no ordinary pest control company. Our unique approach to termite management in Pasadena offers everything you need to take back your property from pests.
First, we inspect your property for the signs and symptoms of termites. Then, we use a combination of treatments to deal with known infestations. We also offer liquid treatments, including the Sentricon Termite Elimination System, to create an impenetrable barrier against termites around your home.
But our job doesn't end once termite treatments are complete. Accutech Pest Management offers continuous termite monitoring so you can rest assured someone is protecting your property from unwanted wood-eating pests. We use bait stations and cutting-edge technology to keep an eye on any pests in your yard. We also provide you with regular status updates so you can feel good about the protection of your home.
For all these reasons and many more, Accutech Pest Management has become Pasadena's favorite provider of termite control, management, prevention, and mitigation services. We offer decades of combined experience in getting rid of wood-eating pests and work hard to ensure a positive outcome for yourself and those you love. For us, it's not about collecting a paycheck – it's about delivering local pest control services you can trust from beginning to end.
You can request local pest control for termites by calling the team at Accutech Pest Management today. Once we schedule your initial inspection, we can begin offering services at a cadence that meets your needs.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Great service and very effective! Treated horrible bed bugs 2 years ago and have most recently gotten rid of the mice that attempted to invade my home! Would totally recommend to anyone with a pest problem. They will definitely take care of it! Very friendly and informative techs too!"
"I had a fantastic experience with Accutech! As a real estate agent it is not always easy to find great vendor partners so when you do they must be recognized and praised! Everyone on the team is a delight to work with especially the people in the office who do the billing and document shipping. I would highly encourage my real estate peers to use Accutech for their residential termite needs."
"I live in a row house and both my neighbors have rat problems. Thankfully they are not in the house. Accutech responded very quickly to my request to come out and check my house for entrance points and put out baits to give me piece of mind. They are great to work with and always go that extra mile."